Monday, December 18, 2023

Thiago V. S. Coelho

My name is Thiago V. S. Coelho, and I live in Brazil.

This blog post is my personal page.

Facts about me:

Facts for English speakers about my name

My first name, “Thiago”, is a variant of “Tiago”, which is the Portuguese version of the name of St James, from the Bible – specifically, St James the Great. (James Potter, from the Harry Potter series, was localized in Portuguese as Tiago Potter.) In some contexts, I’d be fine with people calling me James if they find “Thiago” unwieldy, it would just be confusing on a public site where Thiago is my display name.

In the original Portuguese, I pronounce my first name [t͡ʃiˈa.ɡu], or [ˈt͡ʃja.ɡu] if I say it fast. (That is, tchee-AH-goo, or TCHAH-goo when said fast.)

The H is “decorative”, and does not imply a theta sound, although originally, the variant probably does come from someone incorrectly thinking that there was a theta in the original Greek of St James’s name. (“Tiago” is more common, and more sensibly spelled, but that’s not the version my mom put on my birth certificate.)

In different accents, it might sound more like [tʃiˈa.ɡo], [tiˈa.ɡu], [ˈtja.ɡu], [ti'a.ɡo], [ti'a.ɣu], [ti'a.ɣo], [ˈtja.ɣu], or [ˈtja.ɣo].

But I don’t mind it when English speakers pronounce it [θaɪˈæ.ɡo], as they tend to do. It does puzzle me when they abbreviate it to “Thia” as a nickname – in Brazil, it would be shortened to “Thi”, pronounced [t͡ʃi] (“tchee”).

My middle names are abbreviated V. S., it does not mean “versus”.

My last name, Coelho, means “rabbit”. (If you were localizing my name to English, the closest rendering might actually be “Coney”.) I am not related to the famous author Paulo Coelho, as far as I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment